OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
Plus parts of the South Hams and West Devon
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 10, 2018
Webpage updated: April 10, 2018

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  MAIN LINE, BRENT STATION TO PLYMOUTH STATION (MILLBAY)

LAIRA HALT

Laira Halt, at 244 miles 21 chains from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads, between Laira Junction Signal Box and Lipson Junction Signal Box, overlooking Laira Engine Shed, was opened by the Great Western Railway Company on June 1st 1904 in connection with their railmotor service between Plymouth Station (Millbay) and Plympton Station.

The Halt faced stiff competition from the more more convenient motor bus services on the Old Laira Road and was closed on or as from July 7th 1930.