Webpage created: May 20, 2018
Webpage updated: February 06, 2019
An Up branch train arriving at Horrabridge
Station, possibly in the 1920s.
Horrabridge Station was opened at 8 miles 77 chains mile post mileage from Tavistock Junction by the South Devon and Tavistock Railway Company on June 22nd 1859. At that time it was the only stopping place and the only passing place between Bickleigh Station and Tavistock Station. Horrabridge Signal Box was added in 1875 and in the following year the trains of the London and South Western Railway Company stopped here as well as those of the Great Western Railway Company, thanks to the running rights secured by the former Company over the latter's Launceston Branch south of Lydford Station.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Horrabridge Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, horse boxes, and prize cattle vans. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 6 tons.
The Station was closed on and as from December 31st 1962, when the entire Launceston Branch was closed.