Webpage created: September 26, 2017
Webpage updated: December 24, 2018
FRIARY "B" SIGNAL BOX
Friary "B" Signal Box covered Friary Station and was situated on the Down side of the line, at the entrance to the Station, 461 yards from Friary "A" Signal Box and a platform length from the stop blocks.
It was of the LSW 3b type and was opened on July 1st 1891. It had 45 levers. It is thought that the crossover between the Middle Siding and the Departure Platform was removed during the Great War. This possibly also applies to the connection between the Down Siding and the Bay or Loading Bank. By 1945 sixteen levers had become spare ones.
In 1957 Friary "B" Signal Box, which was 461 yards from Friary "A" Signal Box, was open on weekdays between 6.30am until 11.20pm and on Sundays between 8am and 11.20pm. The Box was not provided with a closing switch.
Friary "B" Signal Box was closed on or as from July 21st 1962.
|With acknowledgement to the work of the late Mr Larry Crosier, of Plymouth, and the late George Pryor, both founders of the Signalling Record Society.|