Webpage created: April 14, 2018
Webpage updated: May 30, 2018
BRIXTON ROAD STATION
Brixton Road Station was situated at 2 miles 52 chains from Plymstock Station and 6 miles 43 chains from Plymouth Station (Millbay).
It was opened to traffic by the Great Western Railway Company on January 17th 1898.
Sidings, a goods shed and Brixton Road Signal Box were installed in May 1905.
Owing to competition from road transport, sparked off by the Great Western Railway Company itself, the line closed to passenger traffic on or as from July 7th 1930, although it remained open for goods traffic.
The Working Timetable Regulations stated: 'When absolutely necessary two Freight Trains or a Passenger and a Freight Train may cross at Brixton Road on the understanding that the Passenger Train is always kept on the running line'.
When a passenger service was restored on November 3rd 1941 the trains ran from the Southern Railway Company's Friary Station because Plymouth Station itself was damaged when the adjacent goods yard was bombed earlier in the year and was consequently closed to passenger traffic. The service was withdrawn again as from October 7th 1947 and from then onwards only the daily freight train and any maintenance trains ran over the Branch.
The main line through Brixton Road Station was removed on March 14th 1952 leaving only the platform line in use.
Number 4658 leaving Brixton Road Station
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Brixton Road Station dealt with goods traffic only. It was not equipped with a crane.
Brixton Road Station was finally closed to goods traffic on or as from February 29th 1960.