Webpage created: January 24, 2018
Webpage updated: May 08, 2019
Brent Station was recorded in 1955 as being 229 miles 54 chains milepost mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station, the original route of the Great Western Railway. The ruling gradient approaching Brent Station was 1 in 131 rising and continued towards Wrangaton Station at 1 in 117 rising. The speed of all Down trains was restricted to 50 miles per hour between 229 miles 50 chains and the 230¼ milepost, through Brent Station.
The South Devon Railway between Totnes Station and Laira Green Temporary Station on the outskirts of Plymouth, including Brent Station, was officially opened to both passenger and goods traffic on May 5th 1848. It was single line as far as Hemerdon Junction, except at the stations.
General view looking west of Brent Station and
Brent Signal Box
The line between Brent Station and Wrangaton Station was doubled by the Great Western Railway Company and opened to traffic on October 8th 1893.
An Up Great Western Railway stopping train
pauses at Brent Station.
Brent Station became the junction for the Kingsbridge Branch on December 19th 1893.
Locomotive 7820 leaves Brent Station with a
train to Newton Abbot,
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Brent Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 1 ton 10 hundredweight (cwt).
Brent Station was closed to goods traffic on and as from April 6th 1964 and to passenger traffic on and as from October 5th 1964.