Webpage created: July 06, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 06, 2017
A proposal to have a winter gardens and cafe on the Hoe was first discussed by the Town Council on November 22nd 1922. At the next Council meeting, on December 20th, it was stated that the cafe was to be erected at the east end of the Hoe, opposite the gardener's lodge on land owned by the War Department.
In January of the following year the location of the site was reconsidered and at a Council meeting on February 21st it was stated that it was now to be erected on an enclosed piece of land to the left of the Look-out House and abutting on the Hoe Road.
Nothing seems to have happened to this proposal for it was not until June 10th 1925 that plans were finally approved for a refreshment pavilion near the bowling green and fountain. The detailed plans were amended the following month.
Tenders were invited for the erection of a Tea Pavilion on the Hoe on December 1st 1925. On January 20th 1926 it was announced that the tender from Mr S Landry in the sum of £2,612 had been accepted.
The cafe was operated by Messrs H Matthews & Sons Ltd and in the summer of 1927 was open from 10am until 10pm, except on Sundays. It proved so popular that in May 1928 they asked the Council for permission to erect a marquee on the west side of the pavilion for the summer.
The Hoe Tea Pavilion was being run by Messrs C A & W Goodbody Ltd in July 1928. They paid the Council a rent of £250 per annum for three years from March 31st 1930.
When their lease ran out a new 5-year one was granted to Messrs E Dingle at £430 per annum plus rates to run from April 1st 1933. Messrs C A & W Goodbody won the lease back in 1938.
The Pavilion was destroyed in the Second World War. On Monday July 21st 1941 the Lord Mayor opened a new Pavilion, a temporary marquee, which was to be run by the YMCA for the benefit of service personnel only. Mr W G Soper was in charge.
Later the Hoe Floral Cafe was opened on the same site.