Webpage created: March 10, 2018
Webpage updated: March 10, 2018
PLYMOUTH, DEVONPORT AND STONEHOUSE HERALD
Originally started in either 1821 or 1822 as the Devonshire Freeholder and General Advertiser, it was renamed The Plymouth Herald and Devonshire Free-holder or West of England General Advertiser in 1830. This cumbersome title was quickly shortened to the Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse Herald.
It was owned and run by Mr William Pridham, the editor; Mr Edward Nettleton, the printer; and two silent partners, Mr William Hole Evans and Mr Richard Hicks, and was published every Saturday from an office at 3 Looe Street, Plymouth. Mr William Pridham was also the first Superintendent Registrar for the Plymouth Registration District. The Herald carried no leading article, expressed no political opinions, and had only one reporter.
Financially it was a very sound investment and their original investment of £800 is reputed to have earned the partners some £25,000.
Competition from more politically minded newspapers brought about the downfall of the Herald, it having to reduce its price from 7d a copy to the unprofitable one penny a copy before finally folding around 1868, when it was incorporated into the Western Counties Herald. The plant and printing machines were sold for £250.
However, the ghost was not dead yet and the Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse Herald did publish again, under a different ownership, between November 20th 1869 and July 29th 1876.
Plymouth Central Library, holds various issues, of which the most useful is the continuous run from 1849 to 1860.