Webpage created: October 11, 2021
Webpage updated: October 11, 2021
The Anglican Church of Saint John the Evangelist is situated in Church Hill Road at Lower Hooe, Plymstock, Plymouth.
Although the Church was erected in 1855, it was not created an ecclesiastical parish until May 9th 1856, when it was formed from the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Mary and All Saints, Plymstock.
Saint John's Church was built in the Early English style, with chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a turret with 2 bells.
Alongside the Church stood the Saint John's National School, also built in 1855. The School, sometimes known as Hooe Upper School, was maintained by the Church until Devon County Council took over in 1903.
It was not until Sunday March 16th 1952 that electric light was first used at Saint John's Church.
On Sunday November 9th 1958 Mrs K Tucker unveiled the war memorial inside the Church.