Webpage created: October 11, 2021
Webpage updated: October 11, 2021
MISSION CHAPEL OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, ORESTON
On October 4th 1856 a temporary chapel-of-ease at Oreston to accommodate 200 persons was licensed for worship by the Bishop of Exeter, the Right Reverend Henry Phillpotts.
The petition to the Bishop was in the name of the Vicar of Plymstock Parish Church, the Reverend Thomas Coulthard.
It was not for another 27 years, on Sunday February 21st 1886, that the Chapel was finally dedicated as the Mission Chapel of the Good Shepherd.
By then a chancel had been added and had been furnished with a carved pitch pine altar and stained flax cloth altar hangings. The masonry work had been undertaken by Mr Thomas Spencer and the woodwork by Mr Thomas Cooms. Mr R Medley Fulford, of Exeter, was responsible for the design.
Three small, stained glass windows representing "The Good Shepherd, "The Good Samaritan", and "Our Lord in Glory" were also presented to the Chapel. The glass work was undertaken by Mr Drake, of Exeter.
A special licence has to be obtained from the Archbishop of Canterbury for a marriage ceremony to take place because it is not a Parish Church. The first marriage service was held in 1981.