Webpage created: July 30, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 30, 2017
ANN ELIZA MENDS' CHARITY
Ann Eliza Mends, by her will dated August 19th 1820, proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on September 26th 1822, gave to the trustees of the Batter Street Congregational Chapel in Batter Street, Plymouth, the sum of £100 to be invested and the income used to support The Benevolent Institution for the Education of Children of the Poor.
By a codicil to the will, dated February 8th 1822, the testatrix further directed that the legacy was on condition that fifty poor children were to be clothed by the Institution every year.
The sum was invested in Consols to the value of £98 6s 8d.
On April 14th 1891 the Charity Commissioners issued an Order by which the fund was transferred to the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds. A couple of days later, on April 17th 1891, the Charity Commissioners made an Order directing that the Gift should be used to provide for the advancement of the education of children attending the Batter Street Congregational Sunday School, either by granting prizes or rewards for proficiency in religious knowledge or as the trustees thought fit.
In 1908 the interest derived from the Gift amounted to £2 9s per annum and that was paid to the Naval Bank, Plymouth, and applied by the trustees to the general expenses of the Sunday School, which was at that time attended by nearly 300 children and young persons.