Webpage created: December 21, 2019
Webpage updated: April 17, 2021
HOME FOR FRIENDLESS GIRLS
Staddon House, Regent Street, the former Home
for Friendless Girls.
The Home for Friendless Girls was situated at Staddon House, number 11 Regent Street, Plymouth, in 1890, next door to the Hospital of the Orphans' Aid.
When the census was taken on April 5th 1891 44-years-old Miss Jane Curtis, originally from Dorchester, Dorset, was the resident Lady Superintendent of Training. The resident Matron was 25-years-old Miss Elizabeth Bailey, originally from Gnosall, in Staffordshire.
The orphan girls then in residence and 'Training for Service' were: Mary Bayliss, 14 years of age from Dartmouth, Devon; Lottie Gumb, 13 years old, from Cornwall; Minnie Guterbrook, 13, from Plymouth; Florence Williams, 13, from Helston, Cornwall; Emma Bailey, 13, from Devonport; Lily Warton, 13, from Plymouth; Florence Coles, 13, from Plymouth; Eliza Hannaford, 13, from Plymouth; Annis Grylls, 12, from Plymouth; Ellen Coleman, 12, from Plymouth; Emma Brimage, 11, from Plymouth; Clara Fox, 11, from Plymouth; Emmeline Hannaford, 11, from Plymouth; Adeline Bailey, 10, from Plymouth; Emily Symes. 9, from East Stonehouse; and Hetty Mills, 7, from Plymouth.
Doctor George Henry Eccles (1841-1918) was their consultant surgeon.