OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: January 19, 2020
Webpage updated: January 19, 2020

        

-

GOVERNOR AND GUARDIANS OF THE POOR IN THE TOWN OF PLYMOUTH

The Governor and the Guardians of the Poor in the Town of Plymouth was incorporated by the Plymouth Workhouse Act of 1707: 'An Act for erecting a Workhouse in the Town and Borough of Plymouth, in the County of Devon, and for setting the Poor on work, and maintaining them there'.

Mr Robert Brindley, architect and surveyor of Devonport, records in his "Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Directory, 1830" that in that year the list of Officers was:

  • Governor - Lieutenant Derriman, Royal Navy;

  • Deputy Governor - Mr J Edmonds;

  • Treasurer - Mr W T Harris;

  • Receiver -F Fogglestrom;

  • Clerk - Robert Burnard;

  • Assistant Clerk - Charles Croft;

  • Matron- Mrs Burnard;

  • Surgeon and Apothecary - Doctor Baldy;

  • Schoolmistress - Mrs Shapcott;

  • Schoolmaster - Thomas Scammell;

  • Beadle-Thomas Edwards;

  • Collector -James Cole;

  • and Solicitors - Messrs Eastlake.

The Court of Guardians consisted of fifty-two members, of whom the Mayor, Recorder (ex officio), six Aldermen and six Common Councilmen were elected annually on May 2nd by the Corporation of the Borough; twenty inhabitant householders were returned yearly from the Parish of Saint Andrew and eighteen from the Parish of Charles.

In 1830 the general Court met at 6pm on every third Wednesday of the month.

The Workhouse, which architect Mr Brindley described as 'a building of no particular note', was in Catherine Street.  The Corporation Almshouses, or "Old Church Twelves", as they known, were close by.