OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: September 29, 2019
Webpage updated: September 29, 2019

        

-

ELPHINSTONE BARRACKS

The old victualling stores and, later, Emigration Depot in Commercial Road was by 1897 known as Elphinstone Barracks.  It housed the Government Torpedo Depot, under Royal Engineer Captain M A Boyd, the chief instructor. 

It was situated to the south of Phoenix Wharf on the quay now used as a car and boat park.

Elphinstone Barracks can be located from Phoenix Wharf, which still exists today.

Elphinstone Barracks was between Fisher's Nose and Phoenix Wharf,
Plymouth, while Mr George Frean's Biscuit Manufactory was to the north.