Webpage created: August 26, 2019
Webpage updated: August 26, 2019
Leigham Mill was in the Forder Valley, where the present Leigham Mill Cottages stand, overlooking Saltash Lane, as it was called in the 19th century, or the Forder Valley Road, as we know it today. It was in the parish of Eggbuckland. It was close to Creaza Mill.
At the time of the Eggbuckland tithe map of 1839 it was owned by Mr John Elliott and occupied by Mr Samuel Taylor.
Mr John Cornish of Saint German's in Cornwall was the master miller here at the time of the census in 1851. He was 60-years-old and his wife, Temperance, was 59. There were two sons, 28-years-old Thomas, who may also have been a master miller, and 13-years-old John, a scholar, as well as daughters Sarah, 34, Mary, 32, and Temperance, 21, all unmarried.
The mill along with the adjoining dwelling and seven acres of garden and fields were advertised for letting in the Plymouth and Devonport Weekly Journal of June 1855. The mill contained two pairs of mill-stones plus other machinery including 'an excellent Bunt and Smut Machine'. It was claimed that although there was am ample supply of water the mills could be worked 'even with little water'. The dwelling-house contained two kitchens with a parlour and bedrooms over. Outside in the courtyard were a barn, stables, shippen, cart linhay and two pigsties, 'all of which are new, and of the best construction'. The new letting would run for seven years from Michaelmas.
A Mr Richard Lewis was the miller by 1857.
Leigham Mill seems to have been removed around 1900 although Mr D O'Connell was living there in 1932.