OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: July 07, 2019
Webpage updated: September 23, 2019

        

EGGBUCKLAND PARISH

LEIGHAM HOUSE

When the 'Desirable Residence near Plymouth' of Leigham House, in the ancient parish of Eggbuckland, Devon, was put up for letting by private contract on May 20th 1828 the owner of the property was given as Mr Thomas Edwin Gosling.

The Mansion included:

Ground Floor:

  • two good dining parlours (connected by folding doors);
  • breakfast room;
  • housekeeper's room;
  • dressing room;
  • butler's pantry;
  • kitchen, 'well fitted in every respect';
  • servants' hall;
  • dairy;
  • wash-house;
  • scullery;
  • pantry;
  • cellars.

First floor:

  • four good lodging rooms;
  • dressing rooms;
  • two servants' rooms;
  • laundry;
  • store room.

Second floor:

  • four good lodging rooms;
  • dressing room;
  • and two large garrets in the attic used as servants' apartments.

Outside, in addition to general out-buildings were a double coach-house; a stable block with six stalls; and an excellent hot-house with apartments for a gardener.  The gardens, lawns and plantations, which adjoined the well-stocked River Plym, amounted to about ten acres.  Access was by means of the Carriage Drive through the lawns and woods, more than a mile in length, the Lodge Gate being a mere quarter of a mile from where the mail coaches to and from London pass daily.