Webpage created: August 21, 2019
Webpage updated: August 21, 2019
EFFORD MILL or GULLETT'S MILL
Efford Mill was in the parish of Eggbuckland, in the valley below Austin Farm. It was also known as Gullett's Mill.
Mr John Briggs was its owner in 1780, when it was tenanted to Mr Philip Gove.
On the Eggbuckland tithe map of 1839 it is shown as in the ownership of Mr Erving Clark and was occupied by Mr William Budge.
At the time of the 1851 census the miller was 40-years-old widow, Mrs Fanny Gullett. She was assisted by her eldest son, William, aged 16 but there were also two younger sons, Thomas, 12, and Joseph, 6. Incidentally, it was then known as Egg Buckland Mill. In 1857 and 1866 it was in the name of Mr Thomas Gullett. In 1897 Mr Charles Hawkins was the miller.
Mr P Elliott and Mr F G Lee apparently lived at the Mill in 1932.
Efford Mill was being demolished in May 1955, and the Western Morning news ran an article and photograph on the 7th.
There is an excellent late 19th century water colour painting of Gullett's Mill, by H M Rogers, in the City Museum.