Webpage created: September 16, 2018
Webpage updated: September 17, 2018
EGGBUCKLAND NATIONAL SCHOOL
In the ancient parish of Eggbuckland there was a Chantry or Charity School run by the vicar of the ancient parish church of Saint Edward's. This appears to have started in 1778 but may have been even older.
The school was subsequently placed under the control of the National Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church.
On Tuesday February 16th 1846 the foundation stone of a new building was laid. It was built in part of the vicarage garden. The new School cost £487 18s 7½d to construct and was completed on Saturday May 29th 1847 and opened soon afterwards.
By a deed dated April 6th 1848, enrolled on June 10th 1848, the Reverend George Hunt, vicar of the parish, with the consent and agreement of the Right Reverend Bishop Henry, Lord Bishop of Exeter, granted to himself, as vicar, Mr Richard Addis Archer Julian and Mr John Blake, as churchwardens. a piece of glebe land belonging to the vicarage as a site for the school and residence of the school master or mistress, or both. This transfer of property was carried out under the legal support of the School Sites Acts of 1841 and 1844.
The area measured 48 feet in length at its eastern end, 58 feet at its northern end, 28 feet at the western side and 60 feet at the southern end where it ran alongside the road leading from the vicarage to the Church. The total area was claimed to be 2,030 square feet. There were two conditions: that the school was to be forever linked to the National Society and that it be open to inspection by Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools.
It was further stated that the Reverend Hunt paid almost all of the cost of the new buildings.
In accordance with the requirements of the Education Act 1903, Eggbuckland National School was transferred to the control of the Devon County Local Education Authority as the Eggbuckland County Elementary School.