Webpage created: July 03, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 03, 2017
WILLIAM DEANE'S CHARITY
Mr William Deane, by his will dated May 8th 1780, proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on May 18th 1782, bequeathed £900 in Reduced Annuities to Mr Philip Gibbs in trust 'for the support of such persons by whom the doctrine of free grace, to wit, free and unconditional justification by the blood and righteousness of Christ alone through faith only, effectual calling, perseverance of the saints, and personal election should be preached and maintained, to be laid out for such uses and purposes as the said Philip Gibbs should think fit'.
By an indenture dated September 3td 1800 Mr Gibbs appointed nine trustees to distribute the income from the bequest and further declared that it should be used for the Baptist Congregation in How's Lane, Plymouth. If the Baptist Congregation should cease to exist then the funds to be used by the Baptist Education Society in Bristol. The Indenture also stated that the Baptist Congregation at Kingsbridge, Devon, were entitled to receive at least £5 per annum. In the event that the Baptist Congregation was later reformed at How Street then the full amount was to be once again placed at their disposal.
Under an Order of the Court of Chancery dated July 12th 1839 the £900 Reduced Annuities plus a further £200 Reduced Annuities purchased with the accumulation of income, were transferred into the Court.
In 1846 the Baptists moved from How Street to the George Street Baptist Chapel but the minister made no claim against the Charity and neither did the Baptist Education Society in Bristol. As a result the trustees applied to the Court and were granted, on June 24th 1852, an Order allowing them to apply the funds to any Baptist Chapel of their choice and to give the minimum of £5 per annum to the Baptists at Kingsbridge.
On July 5th 1881 the Court of Chancery directed that the Reduced Annuities, then amounting to £850 8s 6d, should be transferred to the Official trustees of Charitable Funds. The Charity Commissioners confirmed this by an Order dated August 5th 1881.
Eight new trustees were appointed by an Order of the Charity Commissioners dated November 12th 1886 and it was also directed that in addition to the £5 for Kingsbridge, the remainder should be expended on a Baptist Mission Station in, or in the neighbourhood of, How's Lane, Plymouth, as directed by the trustees of the George Street Baptist Meeting.
An Order of the Charity Commissioners dated December 22nd 1893 directed that the accumulation of income should be used to purchase Consols to the value of £115 18s 11d and that these should be transferred to the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds.
It would appear that at some point the Reduced Annuities were converted into Consols because in 1908 it was stated that the funds of the Charity comprised entirely of Consols to the value of £966 7s 5d.
At that time there were four surviving trustees and in addition to the £5 paid to the Baptist Chapel at Kingsbridge the residue of the income was being paid to the George Street Baptist Chapel for the stipend of the superintendent of the Baptist Mission in Lower Street, 'which is near How's Lane'. The Charity had 13s 6d in hand at the end of the 1907 financial year.