Webpage created: July 02, 2017
Webpage updated: September 17, 2019
CITY OF PLYMOUTH COAT OF ARMS
The County Borough Council of Plymouth was granted City status on October 17th 1928.
The motto is "Turris fortissima est nomen Jehova" translating as 'The name of Jehovah is the strongest tower' and is taken from the Proverbs of Solomon.
The present coat of arms was designed by Mr Arthur Cockrane, Clarenceux King of Arms, and was authorised in 1931. It consists of a silver spade-shaped shield with a green Saint Andrew's Cross (the dedication of the Mother Church of Plymouth) and four black towers representing the towers of the original Plymouth Castle.
The crest is a blue naval crown, which replaced the inaccurate crown on the earlier arms, and a red anchor held aloft by a golden lion's paw: this is taken from the old Devonport arms and represents the naval connection.
The two lion supporters have red medallions charged with a silver boar's head: these are taken from the arms of the Mount Edgcumbe family, who held the Manor of East Stonehouse.