OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: September 11, 2019
Webpage updated: September 11, 2019

        

-

BAUDAINS LIMITED

Frederick John Baudains, the third son of Mr Philip Baudains and his wife Mary, was the founder of the Plymouth-based business of Messrs Baudains Limited, upholsterers.  The family originated in Jersey.

Born in Plymouth in 1872, Mr Frederick john Baudains married  Mrs Elizabeth Northmore, of Ivybridge, at Stoke Damerel Register Office in 1897.

The 1901 census records them living at 11 Glanville Road, Plymouth, where they had five boarders all helping with the upholstery business.  The eldest, at 22 years of age, was Miss Lily Tucker, from Kingston, Devon, who was a sewing machinist; next came 20-years-old Charles Luscombe, from Plympton, a wire mattress weaver; then came the two Northmore brothers, Frederick John Baudains' step-sons, 18-years-old William, from Ivybridge, an apprentice upholsterer, and 16-years-old Francis, from Plympton, another wire mattress weaver.  Youngest of all was George Edward Harry Baudains, Frederick's nephew, the son of Mr George Francis Baudains and the former Miss Emily Annie Starkey Richardson, who was born in Plymouth on October 12th 1887.

At the time of the 1911 census Frederick and Elizabeth Baudains were living at 14 Trafalgar Street, Plymouth while Mr George Francis Baudains was a wall mason so had nothing to do with the family business.  Elsewhere in Plymouth, Mr George Edward Harry Baudains married Miss Ada Ferris and on August 8th 1911 Ada gave birth to George Francis Ferris Baudains.

At the start of the Great War Mr Frederick John Baudains signed up, or was conscripted, and joined the Hampshire Regiment and was killed overseas in 1917.  His widow remained in Plymouth, where she died in 1930.

On July 15th 1936 at Stoke Damerel Mr George Francis Ferris Baudains married Miss Doreen Faith Higham Love.

The business seems to have passed to Frederick's nephew, Mr George Edward Harry Baudains for on December 4th 1946 a new limited company, Messrs Baudains Limited, was registered to acquire the business of Mr G E H Baudains at 44 York Street, Plymouth.  The directors were Mr Baudains himself and a Mr C S Parnell, of the Ridgeway, Plympton.  The Company initially had a capital of 6,000 in 1 shares.  Although there is no mention of his son, Mr G F F Baudains, it is noted that he was living at the York Street premises in 1953.

Mr George Edward Harry Baudains died at Plymouth on May 30th 1976 and it is believed that the business ceased at that time as well.  His son. Mr George Francis Ferris Baudains, lived until 1994 and he was buried at Weston Mill Cemetery on March 9th that year.  It it thought that he was the last of the family who had been involved in one of Plymouth's most well-known business houses and which had held a local purchase contract with the Admiralty's Naval Store Department in the Royal Dockyard for many years.

An unusual feature of the business was its "Mattress Hospital" in Hastings Street, where four craftsmen could turn your lumpy, bumpy 4 feet 6 inch mattress back into its as new condition for about 10 5s.  Almost all work was done by hand as there were only two machines in the workshop, a sewing machine and a carding machine, which cleaned mattress fillings.  In actual fact very little of the old mattress was used in the remake so the customer really got back an inexpensive new mattress.