Webpage created: July 27, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 27, 2017
The "Mayflower" Memorial is located on the pier leading to the National Marine Aquarium, near the Admiral McBride Public House, Commercial Road, on the Barbican.
A carved granite block set in the surface of the pier was the original memorial. In 1891 a descriptive tablet was placed on the quay wall.
The original "Mayflower" Stone and the tablet
The tablet states: ~ On the 6th of September 1620 in the Mayoralty of Thomas Fownes, after being "kindly entertained and courteously used by divers Friends there dwelling", the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from Plymouth in the Mayflower, in the Providence of God, to settle in NEW PLYMOUTH, and to lay the Foundation of the NEW ENGLAND STATES -- The ancient Cawsey whence they embarked was destroyed not many Years afterwards but the Site of their Embarkation is marked by the Stone bearing the name of the MAYFLOWER in the pavement of the adjacent Pier. This Tablet was erected in the Mayoralty of J T Bond 1891 to commemorate the Departure, and the visit to Plymouth in July of that Year of a number of their Descendants and Representatives.~
"Mayflower" Memorial on Plymouth Barbican,
The granite block was moved and a new canopy of Portland stone was erected in 1934. This was designed by Mr J Wibberley, the City Engineer at the time and the work was carried out by Messrs A N Coles (Contractors) Ltd at a cost of £238 10s, paid for by Sir Frederick Winnicott. The lettering at the bottom of the present memorial states that ~ The memorial presented by Alderman Sir Frederick Winnicott, JP. Unveiled by the Right Worshipful The Mayor of Plymouth Councillor Mr E Stanley Leatherby on the 5th September 1934.~ The United States Consul, Mr Rollin R Winslow, himself a direct descendant of one of the Pilgrims, was amongst those present at the unveiling.