Webpage created: December 23, 2018
Webpage updated: January 21, 2019
BAPTIST CHAPELS IN OLD PLYMOUTH
Oldest of the Puritan or Nonconformist congregations in Plymouth were the Baptists. It is thought that they arrived here from Holland and were already in residence when the Pilgrim Fathers left Plymouth in 1620 for America. But their earliest records start in 1648, when a fuller by the name of Mr Abraham Cheare, was baptised into the movement. He must have quickly made a name for himself because only one year later he was invited by no fewer than 150 local Baptists to become pastor of their congregation, which he accepted.
A meeting-houses was erected in 1651 on a piece of land the congregation purchased in the Pig Market, which later became Bedford Street. For a century they continued to meet there until it was rebuilt and reopened on June 30th 1751.
In 1789 the Plymouth congregation abandoned the premises in the Pig Market and moved to the Howe Street Baptist Chapel, which they at first rented and later purchased outright. As with most religious bodies of the time, the congregation at Howe Street Chapel soon outgrew the facilities available and so in September 1845 they moved into the purpose-built George Street Baptist Chapel.
The Emmanuel Baptist Chapel was erected in 1864 in North Road, Plymouth.
Early in 1867 the Baptist congregation at George Street Chapel resolved to build a second chapel for the convenience of its worshippers and that this should be in the rural surroundings of Mutley Plain. Mutley Baptist Chapel was opened in 1869.
At some point, possibly in the 1860s, a former Calvanist building in York Street, Plymouth, was taken over by the movement and became the Trinity Baptist Chapel until around 1900.
Following the absorption of the Saint Budeaux and Weston Peverel districts, the Saint Budeaux Baptist Chapel was opened in 1902.
Salisbury Road Baptist Chapel and Sunday School were opened in 1907.
By 1920 the Hope Baptist congregation in Devonport considered moving their Chapel out to the newer developments at Peverell. In 1924 they moved temporarily into Pounds House, Plymouth, and on November 17th 1926 the memorial stone of their new Hope Baptist Chapel in Peverell Park Road was laid. This building, which was on the Plymouth side of Tavistock Road, was opened for use in January 1928.
The old George Street Baptist Chapel was replaced with a new one in Catherine Street in 1958. It is now known as the Catherine Street Baptist Chapel.
Crownhill Baptist Chapel was opened in 1958 and closed down and demolished in 2007.