Webpage created: May 12, 2020
Webpage updated: May 13, 2020
THE WHITE BOOK
This book was given to the Town by Mr John Ford, who was Mayor in 1555. It was used from 1560 until 1754 for the entry of bye-laws and orders of the Corporation and lists the names of aldermen and councillors. The orders are for the most part signed by those who made them. In addition, contains many entries of a miscellaneous interest affecting the Borough.
The 'White Book' takes its name from the vellum cover, upon which is inscribed 'The Book of Constitutions'.
Extracts from all these Books were published by Mr R N Worth FGS (1837-1896) in a "Calendar of the Municipal Records", 1893.
Next in importance to the 'White Book' is the 'Widey Court Book'.