Webpage created: July 03, 2017
Webpage updated: July 22, 2018
ANGLICAN CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The Anglican Church of All Saints was situated in Harwell Street, Plymouth. It no longer exists.
All Saints' Church on the corner of Harwell
Street with Hastings Terrace,
Previous to the Church being erected, worshippers had gathered on the site in a small, wooden building put there by the Reverend Prynne, Vicar of the Anglican Church of Saint Peter the Apostle. The Reverend S W E Bird took the services. Work started on constructing the Church of All Saints in 1873, to the designs of Mr James Hine, architect.
Mr James Hine's original drawing of All Saints' Church, Plymouth.
The ecclesiastical parish was formed on May 14th 1875 from the Parish of Saint Peter the Apostale.
It was the first to be formed under the Three Towns Church Extension Scheme.
All Saints' Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter on Tuesday November 10th 1874. Amongst the large gathering present were Archdeacon Phillpotts; Archdeacon Earle; the Reverend G R Prynne from Saint Peter's; and Mr Vicary, a churchwarden.
Only a part of the limestone building had been completed. A temporary wooden nave, 80 feet long by 28 feet wide, had been constructed along with the organ chamber, vestry and the chancel and that portion was being used for services. It was reckoned that it could hold 400 people. Inclusive of the purchase of the land, the total cost so far had been about £2,600. When sufficient money had been raised it was intended to build the aisle walls on either side of the temporary nave.
The chancel was apsidal in shape, with five windows consisting of two lights, divided by an ornamental shaft, and having a pierced head. The windows had been installed by Messrs Fouracre of East Stonehouse. The open roof was of pitch pine. The floor of the chancel was of red and buff tiles. The reredos consisted of five panels, the centre one being the largest. The carving and windows had been left unfinished as it was the intention to use all available funds to complete the main fabric first.
In time the Church, designed in the Early English style by Mr James Hine, would consist of north and south aisles, a tower, a baptistry at the south-west angle, chancel at the east end, with the organ chamber on the north side and the vestry on the south. Between the nave and each aisle would be an arcade of five arches springing from circular pillars, above which would be a lofty clerestory.
The clergy-house was erected in 1887 on a triangle of land at the junction of Harwell Street with Hastings Street. The architect was Mr J D Sedding, of London. On the evening of Wednesday August 24th 1887, to celebrate the Reverend Chase moving in to his new home, Mr Cording, the people's churchwarden, in the absence of Mr Penrose Prance, and on behalf of the parishioners, presented him with a dining-room clock and a purse containing sixty-one sovereigns, while Mr Neal, on behalf of members of the Society of the Lady of Nazareth presented him with a lounge-chair upholstered in saddle-bags. The House was attached to the Church by a cloister, behind which was land for a schoolroom. Naturally the occasion was celebrated with a tea laid out in the cloister. The building cost about £1,800 to erect.
Parish rooms and a Sunday School were erected in 1892.
Plymouth's first Boy Scout troop was formed at All Saints' Church and registered at Scout Headquarters on July 4th 1908, the year that the movement was founded.
The nave of the Church remained with a temporary roof until the building was completed in 1912, without the planned tower, during the incumbency of the Reverend O E Anwyl. The architect at this time was Mr W H May.