Webpage created: June 27, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 27, 2017
Mr Samuel Addis died in 1737 and in his will, which was proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in 1741, he left many bequests to the guardians of the poor and charity schools in Plymouth. There was no Gift for the benefit of the organist of Saint Andrew's Church but it seems that it was he who did benefit from it.
The sum of £400 was placed in the hands of Mr Thomas Veale, of Coffleet, and the interest at 4% was taken by Mr Veale and paid to the organist at Saint Andrew's Church supposedly in accordance with Mr Addis's will. Payments were subsequently made by Mr Thomas Lane, the executor of Mr Veale.
In 1811 Mr Lane paid the capital sum, £400, to the then vicar of Saint Andrew's, Doctor Gandy, and the churchwardens, Mr John Pridham and Mr John Hele. They used it to purchase 3% reduced annuities to the value of £706 8s. In the receipt given to Mr Lane it stated that it was 'a legacy left by the will of Samuel Addis, esquire, for the benefit of the organist of Saint Andrew's parish'.
The interest earned in 1820 amounted to £21 3s 10d and this was paid into the bank of Sir William Elford & Company, in Plymouth. By direction of the vicar, the bank paid out £16 a year to the organist. The Charity Commissioners reasoned that if the organist was the appropriate person to receive benefit from this donation then he should receive the whole amount. There was in 1820 a balance of £21 7s 1d left in the Bank.
At the time of the Charity Commission Inquiry in January 1908, the consols worth £706 8s were held by the Venerable Charles Thomas Wilkinson, the vicar of Saint Andrew's, and his churchwardens, Mr John Phillips Paige and Mr Thomas George Greek Wills. The dividend of £17 13s was paid, less income tax and a bank charge of one shilling, to the churchwardens who placed it towards the salary of the organist.